ME, Me me!
So, to get the ball rolling here I am answering the 21 questions I have been putting to other creatives. Harder than I thought it was going to be….. Enjoy!
1) So, what is the view of where you are sitting right now?
In my bat cave which just so happens to be where my bat computer is and I am looking into my bat garden and the first thing I can see are the bat grape vines overflowing with lovely yummy green bat grapes.
2) How old were you when you got your first camera and what was it?
I was about 13. It was one of those Kodak instamatics – a bit like the one Michael is modelling for us here! Built in flash and everything!
3) When were you the most happiest?
Probably when I was about 4/5 and didn’t have a care in the world. Now it’s watching my daughter as she discovers things for the first time, like shadows. Priceless!
4) Can you remember the first cover you ever designed?
Ermmmmm…. Gosh don’t think I can! I’m working on some concepts for Counterpoint at the moment that I really like – but can’t show them yet. The last cover approved however was Crazy River, for Little Brown.
5) Who would play you in the film of your life?
Probably my daughter as she is already a mini me. Failing that do you think Penelope Cruz would be up for it? Na… didn’t think so!
6) What was the last book you read?
Hugless Douglas by David Melling to my 4 year old last night! What… it’s a book isn’t it!
7) Have you won any awards, which one are you the most proud of?
Does the one my daughter give me for mothers day count?
8) Which living person do you admire and why?
My mum and dad! Also my husband for putting up with me and my madness!
9) What camera are you using now? And do you think book cover every time you look though your lens ; ) ?
My sexy wee Panasonic Lumix GF2! Goes everywhere with me. Yum Yum! And yes I do think book cover – most of the times!
10) What was your most embarrassing moment?
Falling out of a chair in the middle of a very very busy restaurant. I like to think I made a recovery by getting myself up off the floor and taking a bow! I can’t believe there was no alcohol involved!
11) As a Creative director, what do you look for in freelance designers/illustrators/photographers when commissioning work?
Someone who works to deadlines and meets them. Illustrators that know how to translate my briefs into the most delicious pieces of art. Creatives that add their own flair to a brief and inspire me too ; )
12) How many covers have you designed so far using your photography?
Crazy River ( see above ) a few that are in the process of final art ( so can’t show them yet!) But loads of visuals ; )
13) What is the funniest thing you’ve heard from a client?
After what seemed like a hundred million visuals later the client says
“I think we will go with the original idea, it works best!” You don’t say!
14) What is your most treasured possession?
Honesty, Love, Respect, Creativity. Oh… and my collection of radio plays that get me through the work day ; ) Oh… oh and my Lumix of course!
15) What/Who are your influences/inspirations?
Everyone I meet on a daily basis!
16) What is the worst job you have ever done?
Cleaning men’s loo’s!! I worked as a cleaner to supplement my grant at college. YUCK!
17) How do you relax?
Relax – what the heck is that???? Oh yes, I remember it’s coming back to me now …. nope … doesn’t happen much anymore!
18) Who or what is the greatest love of your life?
First and foremost my family and then off course my job. It allows me to do the thing I love every day! Also allows me to be the most creative I can be (well most of the time).
19) What five books would you take on a desert island and why?
1) Spike Milligan’s Treasure Island – to laugh
2) The Dictionary (never to late to learn new expressive words!)
– to expand my vocabulary
3) Hawke’s Special forces Survival Handbook
– well I’m not completely stupid you know!
4) Crossword puzzle book
– keep my braining from drying up
5) Best of Cover design
– to keep reminding myself what it is I need to get back for!
(you do realise as soon as I’ve put this list up I will want to change it! So I reserve the right to amend as I please!)
20) What would you have done if you hadn’t become a designer?
I wanted to be a super sleuth investigative reporter. Fighting for the underdog type of thing. Turns out I was better at Art then Punctuation!
21) How would you like to be remembered?
“Wings of steel!”